You will have to read a bit to get to the transport part….
Our Polish student at school is heading home, so he invited everyone from school to the Polish Bar, Krakov, in BsAs to say good-bye and drink free beer. Who can say no to free beer? I defiantly can’t, so off I went for another long night on a work/school week. Needless to say, Friday was a struggle, I made it to school on time because I’m such a good student (actually I got tired at 2am and went home so I was able to wake up on time), however many students didn’t come till break because they stayed out the whole night. I was able to get out of work early Friday to take a nap before heading out to Tango lessons with my Argentine roommate Jessica.
Now these weren’t my first lessons, since I have had 2 lessons at school, but they were my first in a real tango hall, and I looked pretty silly dancing in my tom’s shoes, but I didn’t bring any heels, so I dealt the best I could. Let’s just say Tango is HARD, and I really think I need to get some shoes if I really want to learn. But we had a great night and then went out for dinner after, around 12pm, we were supposed to go to a Milango (Tango Hall) after to dance but Jess and I were really tired so I’m glad we didn’t, plus I had to be up at 6am the next morning to head to Colonia, Uruguay for the day.
Yes I said Uruguay, for my friends who are a bit geographically challenged Uruguay sits under Brazil and Colonia is an hour long fast ferry ride across the Rio de Plata from BsAs. It’s the perfect day trip spot, and if you are planning to stay in Argentina for more than 3 months it’s the place to visit to get your visa renewed, good thing I won’t have that problem, but some friends were going and I wanted to check it out. A bit of background information on Uruguay we learned from our tour guide 1) 9 times in 100 years Uruguay changed between the Spanish and Portuguese rule 2) Prostitution is legal, ugh, weird and sick 3) You need a motorcycle license to rent a scooter....there was more but just some info.
Well the trip started like most Latin American trips start (or so I've been told by my backpacking companions, I really have no idea, but this was my experience this time), with some type of transportation problem. We arrived at the ferry terminal to find out the ferry was broken and that we were being bused to another ferry company to continue our journey (well this was after the lady at the counter tried to tell us the whole thing was cancelled for us because we had a walking tour and lunch scheduled, but we were too smart for her because we knew Spanish and knew others were getting there for free on the other boats). So instead of leaving at 8am for Uruguay we left at 9:30am. Upon arrival we were surprised to find out the walking tour and lunch were still on (oh I love LtnAmr). After the walking tour a few friends who had taken the slow boat over joined us for lunch and then we all rented a golf cart to drive through the city and up the coastline for a bit.
Well the trip started like most Latin American trips start (or so I've been told by my backpacking companions, I really have no idea, but this was my experience this time), with some type of transportation problem. We arrived at the ferry terminal to find out the ferry was broken and that we were being bused to another ferry company to continue our journey (well this was after the lady at the counter tried to tell us the whole thing was cancelled for us because we had a walking tour and lunch scheduled, but we were too smart for her because we knew Spanish and knew others were getting there for free on the other boats). So instead of leaving at 8am for Uruguay we left at 9:30am. Upon arrival we were surprised to find out the walking tour and lunch were still on (oh I love LtnAmr). After the walking tour a few friends who had taken the slow boat over joined us for lunch and then we all rented a golf cart to drive through the city and up the coastline for a bit.
Beautiful, plus now I really want to come back and stay at least one night at the most beautiful Sheraton Hotel I have ever seen, for all of you with Sheraton points I recommend the one in Colonia Uruguay! But we are poor so we just looked at it and strolled along the beaches and drove back to town for our favorite thing down here, Helado (Ice Cream). After Ice Cream those of us with the, err, shi*ty boat company had to return for our ferry back. But it’s Latin America and transportation has problems, so they tell us the boat is broken, no sh*t, we knew that already from this morning, and that we are getting put on another one but it leaves an hour and a half later L Not a big deal but we missed the sunset and I guess sunsets here are beautiful….. we did catch the last glimpse from the ferry terminal before being chased away by a guard, but it was a bit sad…all in all the day was wonderful and I totally recommend heading to Colonia, but take Buquebus there, not Colonia Express (although the lunch and tour were nice).
We finished the day having drinks at Bangalore, a pub we like in Palermo BsAs.
facebook.com/albumBuenosAiresAddOn
facebook.com/albumBuenosAiresAddOn
No comments:
Post a Comment