Now that it’s starting to become winter down here, and my two month tourist phase is over, I am starting to think about life after BsAs, which is a bit depressing, but a must. I still have no idea what I want out of a job. I have been reading many books during my time here, The Celestine Prophecy, The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, This Time I Dance, and most currently The Happiness Project, in order to gain prospective on my values, beliefs and how to generally be happier. I do have to say the Happiness Project book is making me a bit depressed, but I am learning from it. I do know that having a high power career is not for me and that my happiness comes from relationships with others and being around people, and I also get satisfaction from completing projects and conquering the unknown, like a new city, language, or culture; now I just need to find a job title or company that can help me make this a reality. I think my next step after reading is going to be to make lists of what I like and don’t like and what I want to do in life.
This past weekend was tranquil. Like I said it’s been cold, I have been hanging out a lot in my house with my two Argentine roommates, cooking dinner together and watching TV. It’s pretty cool to know that now I can hold a whole conversation and its fun to hang out because we have many things in common. It rained all day Saturday, and I don’t mean a little rain here and there, I mean someone turned on the shower and let it run all day type of rain, and somehow our internet was out, so after doing yoga and some abs exercise in the morning I headed out to Tea Connection, my new favorite place here, for some delicious hot tea (imported of course) and a curry vegetable wok thing. Delicious, minus the fact I used my time to half research jobs on craigslist (not fun, a bit depressing) and work on my final project for school (I am working on a PowerPoint of the history or wine in Argentina, all in Spanish of course). When I returned to the house after my trek in the rain to the Tea Connection (about 15 blocks away, I was determined to eat there), I found my roommate Jessica determined to fix the internet because she really wanted to talk to her boyfriend (he lives in Germany), so we spent another hour trying to fix it, when we finally followed the phone cord to the wall to discover it had come loose from the maid, Ah ha, at last we had internet! That night I went out with my new friend Nicole from my internship company and her roommates for a night on the town, well we went to a bar for a bit then crashed a birthday party at a house. I did however get into an interesting conversation, in Spanish, with some Argentines who think all Californian’s surf, practice yoga, and eat organic (unfortunately I just fell right into their stereotype and couldn’t change their minds that not everyone is that way in CA).
Sunday, was cold, but at least sunny. I had lunch with my cousin’s friends Peter and Mari and then a nice drive around the neighborhood of Belgrano and the river, I think my next sunny weekend day trek will be out to this area, it was beautiful, and I think I need to visit the religious themed theme park, even though it’s a bit sac religious to go to a religious theme park, I think. I will let you know if I make it out there. That evening I went out with Jessica, my roommate and Carla, a friend of hers to watch El Principe de Persia (the Prince of Persia). It was entertaining but I think I liked reading the Spanish subtitles more than the film itself (most of the foreign movies are in English with Spanish subtitles).
Monday was back to the grind and super cold, I can't believe I scraped my overcoat with Thinsulate lining from my packing list before I came, how dumb! Anyways, it’s my last week of Spanish lessons, which is a bit bittersweet, I really like taking the classes but, will enjoy having a bit more of free time. My internship is going well; right now I am working on a script for a YouTube movie/advertisement for our Spanish classes on Skype. It’s pretty challenging but, I’m enjoying stretching my boundaries. After work I stayed at school to watch the Argentine film “Illuminados por el Fuego.” It was about the Argentine-British war over control of the Falkland Islands, a war which Argentina went into basically knowing they would lose, but the military government at the time insisted on. It was a moving film, documenting the life of three of the soldiers, from the surviving one’s point of view, and showing the sadness of the situation during and the aftermath of sentiments and feelings of the veterans. I think it was a good movie to remember the veterans of war (all over the world, especially since it was Memorial Day in the US), and since I have never seen a movie about the losing side, an eye-opener to the other side and how traumatic it is on the soldiers. Makes me grateful for my country and our soldiers, because it’s not always easy to fight, but sometimes you have to. God Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment