Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

At War with a Phantom Mosquito

So I just have to vent. I HATE mosquitoes, but I refuse to sleep in bug spray, I don’t want the chemicals to soak into my body, or to breath the vapors all night. If I open my window I use the mosquito coil incense things, but they make my room smell horrible for days. I wish they had citronella candles here, and that someone had told me how bad the mozzies were so I could have prepared and brought one with me. Now you are saying, isn’t it fall there? And wouldn’t it be too cold for mozzies? Yes, and you would think so, but apparently it’s not and I get to suffer. When I’m around another person the mosquitoes tend to bite them, not me, but I’m alone and they are attacking me.

They are so good here; they manage to bite through your clothing. I was exercising the other day and ended up with 3 bits on my butt and I was wearing skin tight Capri workout pants, and one managed to get me through my sock! These are seriously vampire, super mosquitoes. No wonder they have signs posted everywhere warning about Dengue. I have no idea what that is so I looked it up just in case one of these tiny blood sucking machines carries it, it is a fever that gives you a headache, rash, muscle and joint pain, it can also be accompanied by abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Ugh, dear Mosquitoes, please stop sucking my blood, I only have travelers medical and really don’t want to end up sick…

You must wonder the reason for this rant. Well, over the past 2 weeks I have discovered a phantom mosquito. He is never here on the nights I have the window open and burn the mosquito coils, but on the nights I keep the window shut, he shows up around 2 or 3 am just to annoy the hell out of me. He likes to do a buzz by my ears, which wakes me up, then freaks me out, because I can’t stand to get another bite. When I turn on the light to find him and kill him, he’s not there. I can leave the light on for 20 minutes just staring, sitting still and waiting and he doesn’t show, but the second I turn off the light and lay down, he’s back! I feel like I’m going crazy, I actually think I might be. It’s horrible and it always happens on the nights I try to go to bed early (12pm, 1am, its relative, I know). They sell mosquito coils you plug in, I think I might have to invest in one, in the hopes that it kills or deters my phantom mosquito stalker, otherwise I might go mad.
*Images borrowed from the internet

No comments:

Post a Comment