So I have officially made it to BA. Had a small delay in Lima with the connecting flight, but LAN is such a great airline, instead of making the Argentine's wait to head to BA, they made the Los Angeleno's wait longer. I might regret this on my flight home in 3 months (because by then I will just want to get home and not be delayed). Our flight had mechanical problems so instead of making us wait too long they put us on the LA flight's plane (which was bigger, so I got my own row to nap in) and made the LA flight delayed even longer. HAHAHA, guess I was heading in the right direction.
Upon arrival I was met at the airport by a family friend who is a local and speaks English (thank God, for now, because my Spanish stinks). He is a very nice gentleman in his late 60's and his girlfriend. They were very nice and took me to lunch and a car tour of part of the city. After the second day I decided that my hosts were very nice and generous, but there is only so much you can take of hanging with your "grandparent's", and I'm in a new country so I need to explore. Well I couldn't say no to another lunch, this time at the "rugby club", but I really wanted to be in a place of my own......I struck gold on this place. My host has a friend who is in Recoletta (the posh neighborhood of BA) which is also where my school is located, and that friend has a sweet penthouse like apartment with 4 rooms (3 get rented to people like me), a few blocks from my school.
So after my host's car broke down across town, and a taxi later I arrived at my new accommodations, and I'm getting a great deal on rent too. Although there is a bit of a language barrier here, my host only knows Spanish and the 2 other borders are Argentine females my age, but don't know English either :( Needless to say I still don't know when I need to pay rent or anything about them. But I'm here to learn so I will learn.
I did manage to get some food at the supermarket without too much trouble and amazingly find my way home (the supermarket is only a block away). Now the only problem is the vampires (my new term for mosquitoes). The windows/doors here don't come with screens (also most of the air conditioning comes from boxes hanging in windows even in skyscrapers) and it's warm, right now its 78F and 10pm! I might need someone to send me citronella candles if I can't find any tomorrow. So I left the window/door open as long as possible but, now I am waging a war against the tiny vampires and I'm hot!
Well I am trying to get on Argentine time (although I don't know how people get up to be at work by 9am and eat dinner after 8pm, they must never sleep, or there is a Siesta time I don't know about yet, sleeping in 2 shifts sounds weird but hey, when in Argentina (er Rome)). Okay well time to get some cena "dinner" and kill some vampire bugs.
La siesta is the best thing in this world!!! sleep for 2 or 3 hours and then you are ready and full of energy to party till 8 am =)
ReplyDeletehi love! I am glad that u are finally in your own place and that your host worked out well for the beginning! Sleep is possible but u have to plan for it. I am glad u are enjoying yourself!
ReplyDeletebesos