Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Totally lost.......and trying to remember

So I've had 4 days of Spanish now and I feel more confident that I did when I arrived but, I also fell very frustrated and lost. I want to go back to beginning Spanish where they show you photos of objects and verbs and tell you the name. I know that would be too elementary for me but, I keep forgetting what words mean or what word to use and it's very frustrating because I know I learned them once! I know it takes time, everyone says about 3 weeks but, I'm impatient and want to know it all now. Does this sound familiar to some of you?
Well I should learn Castalleῆo  or Spanish very quickly, I am around it all day, and I mean ALL DAY. I have class from 9 to 1, then a break for lunch where I cheat and speak English with the other students or hang out along and go for a walk, and then I work at the school from 2 till 6. And this is 5 days a week. I can do my work in English but, can only talk in Castalleῆo. At home my house-mates only speak Castalleῆo so I can't speak English either. I am here for an immersion in Spanish and I am definitely getting one. I like it, although, at times it's frustrating.
Spanish classes here are not like Spanish classes in school in the states, there is no textbook with photos and pages of conjugated verbs. No, I am sort of intermediate and my class is taught in Spanish, confusing things are explained in easier Spanish and we have worksheets to fill in and lots of speaking. I don't think I could have learned the language this way the first time but, it is making me remember things on my own and I think helping. More on this later.
I have had some time for fun, although, this dinner after 8pm thing is not really working for me yet.I just tend to skip it since I am not hungry after 8 most days, I'm just tired. I have had my first bus ride, wasn't too bad, when the buses are crowded they just start taking off with people hanging onto the door, I almost fell out the first time, but there was someone behind me. Anyways, I took it to Palermo to meet some other people in my program for the birthdays of two people. It was fun, although the first restaurant we wanted to go to was still closed at 8:30, so we went to a bar and didn't get to another restaurant until 11:30 to eat. Needles to say, my dinner consisted of 2 beers and a mixed drink because by 11:30 I was not hungry at all. And dad the beer was a bit watery, some local beer, not very tasty, but cheep and 2 for 1.

The next night my host, who is in his 60's mind you, told me I went to bed too early....if you think 11pm on a work night is early, then you are crazy or just a porteῆo (someone from Buenos Aires). Yes everyone here eats late, stays out late, and gets up early, all without the siesta. I don't know how they function, but it's not just the young people like me, it's kids and seniors as well. Strange.
To get back to the Spanish speaking and being lost....well I still haven't explored BA, much less my own neighborhood, but I have learned how to successfully take the bus! I went out tonight with some students at my school and a teacher and I successfully led the group on the right bus to the correct stop! Yay, my navigational skills still work, even down here. And my Castalleῆo  skills functioned because the whole evening we were allowed to only speak in Spanish and  I was able to understand (most of it) and communicate (somewhat). But I felt like I was included this time and the veil of unknowing and not being able to communicate was slightly lifted.
Yo empezo a saber Castalleῆo mas mejor! (Actually I'm not even sure if that sentence is grammatically correct, I have so much more to remember)http://www.facebook.com/album

1 comment:

  1. Love the Smile !!!! Love reading about your journey, when am I going to hear about some dancing :)

    ReplyDelete