So last night my British roommate Louisa was tricked into cooking paella by our landlord José. I say tricked because she didn’t realize he doesn’t cook, and she mistakenly told him a week ago how she loves to cook, and Monday when he said he was going to “cook prawns” she told him it sounded great, but actually he just wanted her to cook everyone Paella de mariscos.
The cooking adventure was interesting, as many of you know, I’m not the best cook and often fumble in the kitchen (my parent’s might disagree but, really I stink at cooking). The paella ended up taking about 2 hours to cook not a problem since Argentines don’t eat until 10pm anyways. It was hilarious since Louisa was looking up on her iphone how to cook this and that. I took up my normal kitchen duty of sues-chef. When it came to the squid I was a bit disgusted at the consistency and surprised at the long plastic looking bone thing that is inside of them. I had no idea they had a cartilage like bone. The things you learn…..
Well the Paella turned out marvelous, although it lacked a bit of color, who knew that the can with a photo of bright green peas on the label would actually have yellowish-grey peas inside? And again we were up until after midnight eating dinner, drinking wine and conversing in Spanish.
As for the clean clothes, I just don’t think it’s possible here. First of all the washer is tiny and old. If you put ¼ of the clothes into it that you would in the states that’s still ½ too much…. Plus, it never fully drains, or at least it doesn’t for me since I guess 10 articles of clothing are just too much for it. The water never drains fully, soap is left behind and I am left with a soaking wet pile of clothes I now have to hand wring out and then hang outside to dry since dryers don’t really exist here. My kind Argentine roommates showed me an antique looking centrifuge machine today that will thankfully spin the water out of my clothes and again I have found a way to make that machine not function properly. I found out that hard way it can only hold 1 pair of pants or 2 shirts at a time too! Ugh….needless to say, everything that I have washed smells mildew, since it rained for 3 days last week and I had laundry drying, or my laundry is stiff with leftover soap and the smell of polluted Buenos Aires air! Why can everyone else in this house use the machines properly, maybe I am just not that domestic, or I really miss my hearty GE American appliances and really took them for granted when I was in the states?
No comments:
Post a Comment