Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Adventures in Cooking...Camping Menu

We spent 3 days camping and I was pretty impressed that we didn't have much spoilage or too many left overs. I am learning how to ration and pack better. I am going to share our camping menu with you, maybe some items will make it on your next trip. I'm sorry I don't have more food photos, next time I will be more diligent in taking photos.

Day 1
Lunch- Stopped at In-and-Out Burger (my road trip favorite)

Appetizer- Guacamole and chips
Make the guac at home and put in a plastic container. I made mine with 2 avocados, 1/2 white onion- diced, 1/4 cup diced jalapenos, and a squirt of lime and some pepper. Leave the pits in the dish as they will help by keeping browning away.

Dinner- at the campsite, consisted of wood BBQed Steaks and garlic-pepper potatoes (both purchased at Meat House
We bought the potatoes already seasoned but you could easily prepare them before hand and just wrap in foil to put on the BBQ.

Desert- S more's, yumm. 
I guess August is National S more's month, at least that's what the grocery store person told me.

Beverages- Water, Beer (Tecate for Nick), and Wine (I found this lovely Spanish red at Albertson's for $20, it was pretty good for a box and great for camping)


Day 2
Breakfast- Coffee (Nick), Tea (Katie), bacon and scrambled eggs. 
Hint if you do the bacon first you and eggs right after they cook in the bacon fat and taste so much better.

Lunch- Cut up veggies and hummus dip. Chicken salad sandwiches with jalapeno cheddar.
I made the chicken salad before hand and put in a Tupperware. Then I assembled the sandwiches that morning and put in plastic baggies for the car ride. My chicken salad recipe was 2 cans chicken from Costco, 3 sticks celery diced, 1/2 red bell pepper diced, 2 carrot sticks diced, and 1/4 cup light mayonnaise. 

Appetizers- Oysters at Ah Shucks and Calamari at The Tap Room

Dinner- Spinach fettuccine, basil pesto, and meatballs.
We cooked the meatballs on the grill, they turned out great.

Dessert- S more's

Beverages- Water, Tecate, Wine

Day 3
Breakfast- French toast, Coffee, Tea

Lunch- Guac and chips, Chicken salad, cheese and crackers

Dinner- Wedding food!

After wedding- Garlic bread and meatballs

Beverages- Water, Tecate, Wine

Day 4
Breakfast- Bacon and Scrambled onion and cheese Eggs with Avocado, coffee and tea
This time we cut up some green onions (from the cut veggie snack on Day 2) and some cheese and scrambled them up with the eggs. Also had a fresh avo to slice over the eggs.

Lunch- Firestone's, yummy






No comments:

Post a Comment