Nick's parents gave us a ton of fresh veggies from their garden, so I went in search of a fun recipe to use them. I came across this Martha Stewart recipe for stuffed Zucchini, and boy was it good. I did adapt the recipe to my skills and veggie liking, the adaptations are noted in *.
Ingredients:
3 zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
4oz Mediterranean* feta cheese (with herbs)
2 whole tomatoes cut thinly*
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar*
Time: just over an hour to make
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Using a tablespoon, scoop out zucchini centers to form "canoes," leaving a 1/4-inch border. Roughly chop centers; set aside.
- Arrange zucchini, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn oven down to 375*
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion; cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chopped zucchini, and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Fold in feta.
5. Turn hollowed-out zucchini cut sides up, fill with vegetable-feta mixture, and bake until top is lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
6. Top zucchini boats with caramelized tomatoes.* Lift zucchini from baking sheet with a wide spatula, and serve.
The recipe calls for chopping cherry tomatoes up and adding to the zucchini boat mixture, but Nick and I are not a huge fan of tomatoes, and I didn't think we would really eat them if I cooked them this way. We both just discovered that we WILL eat deliciously caramelized tomatoes, so I just adapted the recipe for the way we would actually eat the tomatoes. I think it turned out much better and gave the zucchinis a sweet and tangy compliment. I thought they kind of tasted like zucchini pizza boats (but much healthier than pizza). I served the zucchini boats with some sausages to round out the meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment