So I am going to bother you guys more with Soccer talk. I am sorry but, it is just so exciting to be in a Soccer country for the World Cup, they eat, breathe, and sleep soccer here. Work stops when Argentina plays, games are streaming all day long in bars, shops, and at places of work. It’s madness.
Wednesday started off with the South Africa game, which was a bit of a disappointment, but still a fun fiesta at school. I started writing another film script for our second YouTube film, about soccer terms in Spanish, but I am not sure we will be able to film before I leave, which makes me a bit sad. We have had many good reviews about the first video though. That evening I watched “Un Novio Para Mi Mujer”, an Argentine comedy, at VOS cine club. It was an entertaining movie, because the husband was too weak to get a divorce so he hired a man to seduce her and gets her a job at a radio station, well she becomes more fun, and he decided he wants to be with her, but she also likes the seducer whom has now fallen in love with her, so the husband tells the truth, and she leaves him. In the end they are in counseling and divorce procedures when they decide to reconnect their love. I like the movie but it is not a comedy in American comedy standards, none of the Argentine comedies fall into the American standard. I can say that watching The Hangover or Wedding Crashers in Spanish is entertaining but still not that funny. ¡Que lastima! I finished the evening finally nursing my thirst for spiciness at La Fabrica del Taco with friends. They had 3 sauces on the table, one for Argentines (no flavor or spice), one regular (hardly spicy), and one spicy (had some heat but needed A LOT more), so we asked for it and were given a bowl of spicy heaven (FINALLY). I had been needing the spice. Argentines think that a bell pepper is spicy; they don’t know anything about spice. We had a fantastic evening eating tacos and drinking margaritas, and of course speaking mostly in Spanish (because it was an international group and Spanish was the common language).
Thursday we had a huge fiesta at school for the Argentina contra Corea del Sur game. I have never seen so many medalunas, facturas, sandwiches de jamon y queso and other braded items in my life. I had a gluten hangover after, which is probably good because I now don’t need to eat another delicious medaluna in my life (or at least in my time here). The game was amazing as well, 4 to 1, Argentina win. Although the first goal for Argentina was by Corea del Sur, but we’ll take it! Not good for that player but he semi-redeemed himself by scoring for his own team on the right goal. That evening I took a bunch of my Brazilian friends, an Australian and Norwegian to watch the Lakers v. Celtic final game at Casa Bar. Since I am from Northern California, I naturally root for any team playing against the Lakers and my friend from Boston needed a group to cheer with him. It was a disappointing loss on our side, but a great game nonetheless. It was also awesome to watch everyone in the group speaking Spanish, even when two people whose native languages were English were in conversation. Love it; we have all come a long way in our learning.
On Friday the USA got robbed of our win. I was devastated, mostly because I spent the entire hour and a half sitting outside in the cold watching the game on the giant screen set up in Plaza San Martin with 10 other Americans. I wanted that win! That night my Brazilian friend Simone and I went to 1810, a traditional Argentine restaurant for dinner and then over to our friend Gaudte’s for a good-bye party for our “amigo borracho del Australia”, Martin. It was a small group of students and teachers, but a good time where the aim was “rompe todo.”
i am so happy u have gotten to do this trip! ITS BEEN AMAZING TO FOLLOW. EXCITED ABOUT MY HAVIANAS AND TO SEE U! MY SPARE BEDROOM AWAITS YOUR RETURN!
ReplyDelete