Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

What I've been up to....

So I realize most of my reader are family and friends and I wanted to update you on my happenings in Newport. School has been going very well. I am really enjoying this semester. I still working part time at my marketing job, as well as taking 3 classes from USC (Teaching ELLs, Elementary Language Arts and Social Studies, and PE). I am also volunteering/observing a few days a week at a local elementary school in the 2nd grade. I LOVE IT. The children are amazing and the teacher is fantastic, a great master teacher. Right now I am just observing and helping out the class but in a few weeks I will actually be giving PE lessons! Yikes! But also very exciting. I have to say it is fun getting to help with the development of my students learning, I think I have finally found my career path. I have also been accepted to Substitute in the Huntington Beach City Unified school district, so if you know any teachers/principles/staff in the district pass my info along to them, I would love some experience subbing.



Moving on...life has been great. I have been playing a TON of beach volleyball. I met a great group of women who play a few times a week and have been fortunate to make my way onto the call list for games. I have to say, it's nice to be competitive again and playing group sports, especially volleyball. And since I live in So Cal the weather is perfect for outdoor games on the beach even in fall.


I've been making/ re-purposing some jewelry for myself and my mom (shoot I just ruined the birthday surprise, sorry). It's been a challenging experience since I lack patience and the jewelry making fine motor skills. But I have enjoyed it (even if I threw away a whole bag of beads just minutes after I bought them, ugh, bad Scottish luck). Here is what I have been working on:



Nick and I checked out a fantastic new restaurant on a date night. Mario Batali's Pizzeria Mozza. It.....was....DELICIOUS! A bit pricey for pizza, but the pizza was so worth it. The crust was like a buttery crisp sourdough, the ingredients imaginative and fresh, and the wine list was fantastic (all the wines are from Italy). I have to say if you are in LA or Newport you MUST check out this restaurant.


I'll wrap up with photos from a much needed girls night. My friend Melissa made some fantastic pumpkin-coconut soup and pumpkin snicker doodles. I contributed the roasted cauliflower with melted parmasian and the green beans with butter and bacon. While Rachel provided the bruchetta and was a fantastic sue-chef! We have a wonderful evening cooking, sipping champagne, eating, and chatting. Thanks girls!



No comments:

Post a Comment