Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Getaway in Cabo!

Nick and I love to travel. And if you haven't been able to tell from many of my Friday quotes, we have been getting a bit restless in the travel department. However it's tough to plan a trip when you are in school (damn Masters loans) but I did have some savings and we were able to get a great flight/hotel deal from Pleasant Holidays with AAA, last minute, even. So off to the land of surf, sand, sun, Corona's, Margaritas, it was...

We arrived Friday afternoon and spent the whole afternoon/evening in the pool having coronas, cazadores on the rocks, and pleasant conversation with some brothers from Huntington and a couple from Laguna (yes we flew 1,000 miles to Mexico and ran into people who are practically neighbors to us).  It was a great first day to vacation followed by the best burgers and fries room service could provide.


Saturday morning it was up early to participate in the Cabo timeshare shark trap. Everyone has to go through a Cabo timeshare presentation or you haven't been to Cabo. On the plus side, we got a great breakfast, got to see a cool hotel, and the town of Cabo del San Jose. We also learned that if you say NO, you have to say it a million times and if you do want to purchase one (we did NOT) then wait till the last guy, he will give you the best deal to "try it out". Just an FYI. That afternoon was spent laying in hammocks on the beach with a bucket of Tecate, followed by lunch at the pool, a margarita cruise, and a night out on the town. You have to check out Cabo Wabo and El  Squid Roe (we missed the Giggling Marlin on this trip) if you are in Cabo. We even ran into one of Nick's vendors from work on a bachelor party trip. Glad we did, we ordered a yard of beer and needed people to help finish it off. We ended the evening with more burgers from room service (did I mention they were delicious?)



Sunday we lounged around the pool then rented a car and it was off to Cabo del San Jose for some surfing at Old Mans and some lunch at Zippers. I have to say the surf was great, a bit intimidating. I don't know why they were head high looping waves, not like the pitching waves we have here, but still I am always a bit nervous in new water. Plus right as we got out a clean up set came through and during my turtle dive I hit myself in the face with my board, no fun. But after an hour I got comfortable and had a few good rides even. Was sad to have only rented the boards for 2 hours. Will have to to back sometime. That evening we strolled on the beach by our hotel and then hit up the marina area for some drinks, a tequila tasting, and some dessert. I think we got chicken fingers this night for room service. They were delish too. I have never ordered so much room service in my life.


Monday we got up early and drove down to Cabo del San Jose to check the surf again, then it was back to the hotel to catch a water taxi over to the public beach for some jet skiing and lunch. We did the tourist thing on the way home and picked up some Mexican souvenirs ( you know, wrestling masks, genuine Mexican ray bans and Rolex, a great woven fish tapestry, and some silver). Back at the hotel we took a walk along the beach and found a local who would "guide" us over the boulders to Lover's Beach at Land's End. I have to say it was the highlight of the trip, and a reason that I am so glad I speak Spanish, otherwise we would not have met him and done the trek. For about $2 (wish I had had more on me) the guy took Nick and I over some boulders and onto Lover's Beach, took a million photos of us, and brought us back safely home. Brilliant! That evening we had a nice dinner at the hotel overlooking the Pacific Ocean and sunset.


Tuesday morning we swam, read books, and headed back home. It's always sad to come home from a vacation but then I woke up early Wednesday (thanks to the time change in my favor from Cabo) to walk on my own beach and witness the sunrise (as a plus I got to see the sunset this day too). It's kind of nice to leave one vacation behind for a beautiful place like home, especially when your home is near a beach as well... I just have to remember that I live in a vacation spot and to stop at times and witness the beauty that is around me. It will remind me of how lucky I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment